Tips for Answering to Customer Complaints
With the development of new technologies, companies regularly receive complaints from customers on the various communication channels. Find out our tips for answering to customer complaints.
And when a customer complains, it is usually due to a bad experience when placing an order, insufficient satisfaction with a purchased product…
One thing that’s for sure is that no matter how big, what or how successful your business is, you’ll always have at least some people who aren’t happy with what you’re doing.
The best way to resolve these complaints is not to panic and be strategic when responding to complaints.
Treat every complaint as legitimate. Even if, at first glance, the complaint makes your customer feel angry for the sake of being angry, never dismiss it as illegitimate. Remember that only a handful of customers bother to file a complaint. For every complaint you receive, you have maybe fifty people who are having similar issues but are simply choosing to carry on with their day.
1- Spot complaints quickly and apologize
The first thing to do to quickly spot customer complaints is to get into the habit of checking the reviews left by customers on your various communication channels.
And when a customer makes a complaint, you have to listen to them to understand their version of the facts and understand what your customer is going through.
Make it clear that you understand why the customer is upset, even if you disagree with them.
And just taking the time to listen to the customer and say “I’m sorry” will help improve the customer relationship.
It’s important to let the customer explain their problem without interruption. Listen carefully to their concerns and show empathy for their situation.
Example: I’m sorry to hear that you’ve had a negative experience with our product/service. Can you please tell me more about what happened?
Example: “Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I’m sorry to hear about the issue you experienced with our product/service. Please provide me with more details so that I can better understand the situation and assist you.”
Even if the issue was not caused by your company, it’s important to apologize for the customer’s inconvenience or frustration.
Example: I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. We understand that this is frustrating and we want to do everything we can to resolve the issue.
Example: “I apologize for the inconvenience and frustration this has caused you. We deeply regret the issue you faced, and we appreciate your patience as we work towards resolving it.”
2- Propose a solution
Once you understand the customer’s problem, offer a solution to resolve it. Make sure the solution is reasonable and appropriate for the situation.
During this step, you must tell the customer what you can do to resolve the situation, specifying the time you need to resolve the problem.
One thing to remember too: don’t promise the customer something you don’t intend to do, and know what you can and can’t do within your company’s guidelines.
What you can do is talk with the person about the process that caused the problem to prevent it from happening again.
Offer a solution
And if necessary, provide an alternative solution until the customer is satisfied.
Example: “I can understand your frustration and I want to help. We can either offer you a refund or send you a replacement product. Which option would you prefer?”
Example: “To rectify the situation, we can [provide specific solution or action]. Alternatively, we can also offer [alternative solution] if that would better meet your needs. Please let us know how you would like us to proceed.”
3- Thank the customer
The best way to close a customer complaint is to call or send a thank you message.
This simple gesture will remind the customer that you took the time to consider their comments.
And know that insights from customer complaints can help you improve your customer experience.
Always thank customers for their feedback, even negative ones. Because without this feedback from customers, you really wouldn’t know how to provide the right service or product that will keep them coming back.
Keep communication professional and polite
Maintain a professional tone throughout the conversation, even if the customer becomes upset or confrontational. Respond with patience and politeness to ensure a positive customer experience.
Example: “We appreciate your patience and understanding as we work towards resolving this issue. Our team is committed to ensuring your satisfaction, and we will do everything we can to make this right.”
4- Stay informed of the resolution of the problem
After offering solutions to customers, you will need to follow up to check whether the customer’s problem has been resolved or not by contacting the services that are working to resolve the issue.
Also, don’t hesitate to make a follow-up phone call to the client a few days later to make sure everything is going well.
It shows that you really care about the problem and want to fix it.
And just taking the time to solve the customer’s problem could lead to a future referral or a positive word-of-mouth marketing recommendation.
Follow up and follow through
After providing a solution, follow up with the customer to ensure that they are satisfied with the resolution. This shows your commitment to their satisfaction and helps build trust.
Example: “Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. I’m glad we were able to resolve it for you. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to assist you in the future.”
Example: “I have initiated the process to [specific action] to resolve the issue. I will personally follow up with you within [timeframe] to ensure that everything has been resolved to your satisfaction. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me directly.”
5- Learn a lesson from these complaints and record them
Use customer complaints as an opportunity to learn from your mistakes and improve your products or services.
We know that numerous customer complaints can get annoying at times, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t learn from them.
Unlike other customers who shut up after their purchase, others have taken the time and energy to tell you how to improve your business.
And this should be good news for your business because when you deal with the problem successfully, you will better understand the needs of your customers and also understand what are the steps to improve the services or products you offer in your business. .
Example: We appreciate your feedback and will use it to improve our products/services moving forward. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Every business should expect times when customers will complain about its services or products. How your employees handle customer complaints can really reflect a good or bad image of your business. And know that if customers see that you don’t address their complaints, they will simply stop buying your products.
Example reply customer complaint
Even if your customer service is perfect (or as close to perfect as it gets), customer complaints will still be part of it. And while each case is unique, there are a number of response templates you can use to craft professional responses and quickly achieve 100% customer satisfaction.
This article is dedicated to many examples of replies for dealing with customer complaints by email, live chat or phone call.
Template #1: promotional code for a new product
I am sorry that you are not satisfied with the new product. Our mission is to provide items that make your life easier, not harder! I will pass your comments on to our team. I hope you will consider giving us another chance. Feel free to use code [code] to get [x]% off your next purchase.
We thank you for your confidence.
Template #2: Software support email
I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience these issues may have caused you. I have taken the liberty of refunding your subscription for this month. You will continue to have full access to all features of our software.
It seems that the [problem] you encountered is due to [reason]. Poor connectivity is also the most likely cause of your inability to save your updates. Our team has identified the source of the problem and is actively working to implement a fix.
Our estimate is that the team will fully resolve it within [time]. I will contact you directly to let you know as soon as your access is restored.
Do not hesitate to contact us if you need further assistance. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us.
Template #3: A Simple Email for an Angry Customer
Thank you for contacting me. I’m sorry this happened, and I understand your concern. I’m escalating your issue so someone can take a closer look at what’s going on immediately.
Please wait, and one of my teammates will contact you with more details as soon as possible.
Template #4: Refund Response
Hello [customer name],
As you requested, we have processed your refund, and it should appear in your bank account within [x] business days.
We are sad to see you go, but we hope to work together in the future where our product will be useful for your business.
If you are still looking for other options, please let me know, as I will be able to help you choose other options that might work for you.
Please keep in touch. Have a great day.
Template no. 5: Reply with proposed solution
I’m again sorry about your experience with [reason for complaint]. I can understand how frustrating it must have been to expect [something] and receive [something different].
After considering the matter, I am happy to offer you the following options:
I’ll let you decide how to proceed, but hopefully one of these solutions will help you overcome the difficulties you’ve been having.
Template no. 6: Reply positive: Letter of response to a complaint acknowledging fault and making a change
It is with great attention that I read your letter dated of January xxxx ___________ [Specify the date]. With this letter, you have brought to my attention that a certain number of elements concerning your file have been badly managed / apprehended / omitted, in particular __________ [Specify one or more particular remark(s)].
We apologize for the mistake and have corrected __________ [Specify].
After study, it seems that some shortcomings have occurred in the management put in place by our department / company / administration. Please believe that we are sorry for this state of affairs and that your file is now the subject of a special study.
Also, you will be contacted very soon by a member of our team / Mr. __________ [Indicate the name and surname of the case manager].
Hoping that everything will be back to normal quickly, be sure, moreover, that I remain at your entire disposal for any comments and suggestions you may have.
Do not hesitate to contact us if you need further assistance.
Template no. 7: Reply to upset customers for the wrong delivery order
I understand how upset you must have been when you discovered that our shipping office sent you the wrong delivery order. Please accept my sincere apologies for that error.
After investigating what caused the mistake, I found that we have two [the same name of clients] in our customer files; hence, the shipping office mistakenly sent you the other Mr. H. Doe’s order. To ensure that we do not repeat this error, we will always include full first names on all paperwork and double check the account numbers.
Again, I apologize for the inconvenience we caused you. We will give a 15% discount on your next order. Your feedback is valuable to us.
Many thanks for your kind attention.
Template no. 8. Example reply to a customer complaint (defective items)
We have received your letter (or e-mail) of… relating (relating to) defective items n°… We regret this incident beyond our control.
We offer to replace defective items. However, please return them to us in their original packaging.
We are at your disposal for any request from you.
Again, I apologize for the inconvenience we caused you.
Many thanks for your kind attention.
9. Example customer complaint: I’m extremely dissatisfied with the product I received. It arrived damaged and doesn’t work properly.
Reply to customer complaint: “Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I’m sorry to hear that you’ve received a damaged product that is not functioning properly. We understand that this can be frustrating and we want to do everything we can to resolve the issue for you.
To address the issue, we can either offer you a full refund or send you a replacement product. Please let us know which option you would prefer.
Additionally, we would like to offer you a discount on your next purchase as a token of our apology for the inconvenience this has caused you. We value your business and want to ensure that you have a positive experience with our products in the future.
Thank you for your patience and understanding. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to assist you.
10. Customer complaint: “I’m really disappointed with the service I received. I was promised that my order would be delivered within 3 days, but it has been a week and I still haven’t received it.”
Reply to customer complaint: “Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I’m sorry to hear that you’ve had a negative experience with our service. We understand that this is frustrating and we want to do everything we can to resolve the issue for you.
We apologize for the delay in delivering your order. We had an unexpected delay in our shipping process that caused a delay in the delivery of your order. However, we have taken steps to ensure that this does not happen again in the future.
To make it up to you, we would like to offer you free shipping on your next order. We value your business and want to ensure that you have a positive experience with our service in the future.
Thank you for your patience and understanding. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to assist you.
Template 11. Subject: Apologies for the Inconvenience – Resolving Your Concerns
Dear [Customer’s Name],
Thank you for bringing the issue you encountered to our attention. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and frustration this has caused you. We greatly value your feedback, and we are committed to addressing and resolving this matter promptly.
I understand how frustrating it can be when our product/service doesn’t meet your expectations. Please know that we take this situation seriously, and we want to make things right for you.
To address your concern, our team is investigating the matter thoroughly. We are actively working on finding a solution to prevent such issues from occurring in the future.
In the meantime, we would like to offer you a couple of options to resolve the issue:
- [Option 1]: We can provide you with a replacement product/service free of charge. This will ensure that you receive a working and satisfactory solution as quickly as possible.
- [Option 2]: If you prefer a refund, we will process it promptly, and the amount will be credited back to your original payment method.
Please let us know which option works best for you, or if you have any other specific requests or concerns. Our goal is to ensure your satisfaction, and we are committed to doing whatever it takes to make things right.
Again, I apologize for any inconvenience caused, and I want to assure you that we are taking immediate action to resolve this matter. We value your continued support and appreciate your patience as we work towards a satisfactory resolution.
I will personally follow up with you within [timeframe] to ensure that the solution provided meets your expectations. If you have any additional questions or need further assistance, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me directly at [contact details].
Thank you for your understanding, and we look forward to resolving this matter to your complete satisfaction.
11. Subject: Rectifying Our Mistake – Ensuring Your Financial Well-being (for banks)
Dear [Customer’s Name],
We sincerely apologize for the error that occurred in your recent banking transaction. We understand the inconvenience this has caused you, and we take full responsibility for our mistake. Our commitment to providing exceptional service means rectifying the situation promptly and ensuring your financial well-being.
Upon careful review of your account and the transaction in question, we have identified the issue and are taking immediate action to resolve it. Rest assured, we are committed to making things right.
To rectify the mistake, we are implementing the following solutions:
- Correction of the Transaction: We have initiated the necessary steps to correct the error in your transaction. Our dedicated team is working diligently to ensure that the necessary adjustments are made, and the correct amount is reflected in your account.
- Compensation for Inconvenience: We understand that this error has caused you inconvenience and frustration. As a gesture of our commitment to your satisfaction, we would like to offer you [compensation]. This is to express our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced as a result of our mistake.
We assure you that we have taken the appropriate measures to prevent such errors from occurring in the future. Our internal processes are being reviewed and enhanced to ensure a higher level of accuracy and efficiency.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to reach out to our dedicated customer service team at [customer service contact details]. They are available to assist you and provide any additional information you may require.
Once again, we apologize for any inconvenience caused. We greatly value your relationship with our bank and appreciate your understanding as we work to rectify this situation. Rest assured, we are committed to providing you with the outstanding service you expect and deserve.
Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We look forward to resolving this issue swiftly and to serving you better in the future.
Answering to customer complaints with Live chat replies templates for customer complaints
Live chat is good because it allows customers to connect with you in seconds in real time, and shy people are much more comfortable voicing their concerns through text chat rather than ‘on the phone. Also, more often than not, the first message in a live chat is an auto-reply sent almost immediately.
It’s also much easier for a customer service rep to handle an irate customer over live chat than over the phone, so it’s a win-win situation for both parties involved. This is how to answering to customer complaints with Live chat.
#11: Sample Live Support Messages
- We need to access your screen and co-browse together to resolve your issue. Can we do this?
- Can we start a co-browse session to help you fill out the form? .
- We may need to identify the problem you are facing. Can we start a video chat conversation?
- Based on the information you provided, we are having difficulty diagnosing the problem. Is it okay for you to have a video chat to figure out the reason for the problem?
#12: Sample Live Chat Apology Messages
- We are sorry for [problem]. Let me talk to my manager about how we can fix this for you.
- We apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. We are really sorry. We will take care of [problem] first for you. Please be patient with us.
#13: Sample Live Chat Messages for Angry Customers
- I’m sorry you have this problem. Let’s see if we can do anything to improve the situation.
- I am sorry that you are not satisfied with our product/your purchase. Let’s see what we can do to fix things.
- I’m sorry this happened. I understand your frustration, and I will do my best to help you.
Template #14: Sample Live Chat Messages to Request Additional Information
- We need a bit more information before fixing this issue. Could you send us [additional information]?
- I am happy to be able to help you! I just need a little more information from you. Please enter [additional information] in your account settings at [link].
- I am happy to be able to help you. Could you send me the account number you see at the top of your bill? .
- We need some additional information before proceeding. Please share [required information].
Template #15: Sample Live Chat Messages to Request Delivery Information / error
- I am sorry that your order has not yet been delivered and fully understand your disappointment. I checked the status of the shipment via [package carrier]: your package is currently [status]. If you want to track the status of the shipment, click on this link: [tracking link]. If your order has not arrived by [date], please contact me directly. I will do my best to locate your package.
- I sincerely apologize for this delivery error. I know how frustrating it is not to have received the items you expected. I just checked your original order and it should be delivered on [date] via [carrier] (parcel number: [Nº]). If you want to track the status of the shipment, click on this link: [tracking link]
- Please accept my apologies for this problem and the inconvenience it has caused you. As compensation, I have refunded your subscription fees for the current month. We have identified the origin of the problem: it seems that it is due to [explanation]. We are doing everything we can to resolve it as soon as possible. Everything should be back to normal by [scheduled time]. Once access is restored, I will contact you to let you know.
Tips and examples for Answering to Customer Complaints by phone call
Phone calls are the most complicated to manage. Not only do you need to be able to answer all of your customer’s questions, but you also need to be calm, polite, and helpful. It’s especially difficult when on the other end of the line there’s someone who’s, say, in a bad mood.
- Acknowledge the problem. Customers want to know that you are listening and validating their concerns.
- Offer solutions.
- Stay positive.
- Go above and beyond.
Phone call response scripts for customer complaints:
Template #16: Apology Scripts for Phone Calls
- I’m really sorry for that. If you send a photo of the damaged [product name], we will go ahead and send another [product name]. Of course, if you wish to be reimbursed, we can also take care of this for you.
- I know it’s far from ideal. But I’ll have to talk to my manager and see what we can find to resolve your issue. Can I [call/email/messenger] you once we find a solution? I promise you it won’t take more than 24 hours.
- I’m sorry that the [product name] did not meet your expectations. Would you like to return or exchange your [product]?
- I am sorry that your order has not yet been delivered and fully understand your disappointment. I checked the status of the shipment via [package carrier]: your package is currently [status]. If you want to track the status of the shipment. If your order has not arrived by [date], please contact me directly. I will do my best to locate your package.
Template #17: Phone Call Scripts for Angry Customers
- I am really sorry. Can you tell me what happened so I can help you?
- I totally understand your frustration. I would feel the same. Can I have your order number so we can resolve this issue?
- I’m sorry you were unhappy with your purchase. We’ll see what we can do to fix things.
Ready to get started?
Are you a consultant? If you are a consultant and wish to contact us for any reason, we invite you to click the ‘Let’s Get in Touch’ button to connect with our team and receive the necessary assistance.
Are you seeking appropriate and objective advice? If so, please click the ‘Request for Proposal’ button to get in touch with us and find out how we can assist you today.